Tuesday, November 1, 2011

Quick Update...


I realized that the last time I posted was the week I was released from my calling as the Blazer's leader and Assistant Scoutmaster and placed into the Elder's Quorum Presidency as the President. It only seemed right that now I post again as I have been released from that calling and asked to serve with the Young Men as the Teacher's Quorum Advisor and Assistant Team Coach. This is my first time working with the young men and I am excited to be working with the youth.
If I learned anything from my calling as EQP it was that my testimony of Home Teaching was poorly founded in the idea that we go to our families houses to teach them a lesson every month. I believe that I understand the real purpose behind Home Teaching now. When someone asked the Lord what the most important commandment was he simply replied that we love our heavenly father with all of our hearts but was quick to follow up with the second most important commandment, to love one another. We go Home Teaching not to teach a lesson in someone's home but to demonstrate that we are willing to follow and obey these two commandments.
First- Love our Heavenly Father. Our Heavenly Father wishes he could be here with us all the time. I actually believe that he is just like the dad that releases the safety hold on the seat of the bike as their child wobbles from side to side on their first solo ride without training wheels, yet still runs along side just to make sure they are okay. Or perhaps like the parent who sends the kid off to school crying because they know the child needs an education but then follows the bus, at a safe distance of course, and watches like a stalker outside the school before tearfully driving to work. He knows something though that we struggle with every day. He knows that him not being there every moment of every day only makes us that much stronger and increases our likelihood of returning to be with him forever after this life. So what does he do? He sends your brothers and your sisters to check in on you several times during the month and weeks to make sure that you are okay and that you know he is looking out for you.
Second- Love one another. I can honestly say that more than once I have been assigned a Home Teaching companion or family that, in my eyes, have been a little weird or different. I know the Lord does that to make sure I am being humble enough to recognize my brothers and sisters that need my help and that will help me as well. I can also honestly say that I have never Home Taught a family that I didn't grow to love, admire, and desire to protect as much as I would any member of my immediate family. I have seen the pain in a Bishops eyes as he goes over a list of families and individuals that are in desperate need of a helping hand and that have not been Home Taught for the past three months. Home Teaching is the Lord's way of ensuring that we can meet the greatest commandment and the second greatest that is not that much different. If I learned anything from my last calling it was that the Lord gives us opportunities to serve but it is up to us to take advantage of those opportunities.
Okay, off the soapbox and back onto level ground. Updates- Dyan and I are doing awesome. Dyan is the Second Counselor in the Young Women's Presidency and enjoys working with the Beehives. We are excited to have the opportunity to attend mutual together and to have callings so closely related. We continue to get situated in our new home and love our neighbors and ward members for helping us feel part of the community. We are hoping for kids within the next few years and are still enjoying our dog, Maks' company. He is a furry little gentleman. Dyan's company has gone through a lot of changes lately but she is loving working there and we are so grateful for their support over the last few months. I am still with University of Phoenix and back in June completed my MBA program with a concentration in Health Care Management. I am looking for a job in the Health Care sector while also applying for positions as an adjunct faculty member at several local and online schools. The Lord has both blessed and tried us over the past year and as we get closer and closer to the end of 2011 we are excited to see what the next year will hold. We love you all and are happy to have you as family and friends.

No comments: